SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING: IBIZA VIBES TO ZING & ZEST
SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING AT HOME
Some months ago, in the deepest, darkest depths of winter, I discussed creating a spa bathroom. A joyously cocooning sanctuary at home to while away the evenings. Blissful! Now I don’t know about you but my mindset shifts entirely once the clocks spring forward and the ankles appear. I want to be out, enjoying the world and reveling in the fact we’ve seen the back of winter for the foreseeable future (theoretically, at least)! This enthusiastic and immersive attitude manifests in several ways.
Summer bathroom styling: A few accessories make all the difference to updating your home including these Compagnie de Provence hand creams. Taps Kallista, however see Kohler’s new Components Collection which has a similar aesthetic and colour range
Firstly, I combine the immensely satisfying spring clean with a mini-makeover across my house. This is nothing drastic – rather, a quick rearrangement of accessories and the introduction of some easily changeable pieces for the summer months. (More on this in my summer cushion edit which you can read here). Sartorially, the same applies. Tops and tees shift from black to white and those heavy winter knits bundle into storage.
The spring/summer season is a great time to socialise – longer evenings refresh and revitalise even the weariest of souls…
Feel beach-ready with a stylish woven basket bag – Styled here with Kayu’s St Tropez pom pom embellished woven straw tote. It’s perfect for storing and displaying rolled hand-towels or beauty products
COLLABORATING WITH KOHLER: SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING
Kohler approached me to work with them again, following the success of our previous collaboration. I was very keen to devise a piece on summer bathroom styling as this is a space we use quite differently depending on the season.
For photo-shoot purposes only! Use bright towels and natural accessories to add colour and texture when styling your bathroom for summer
Obviously, when nature calls the protocol is much the same come rain or shine. This aside, our seasonal approach to the look and feel – alongside the amount of time we spend in the bathroom – can vary dramatically at different times of year. For starters, a long soak feels less appealing – almost an inconvenience – during the summer months, when there is so much else to enjoy. Instead, a quick, invigorating shower hits the spot.
A quick shower with some delicious citrus scents and essential oils and you’re summer-ready! Love the matte-black hardware
For this post, I decided to select two vignettes within the The Kohler Experience Centre at West One Bathrooms. The aim was to style them up to reflect two very different summer looks. The little room-sets I chose were fairy neutral, installed with quality fixtures and fittings but without strong personality.
The idea was to demonstrate how transformative simply by dressing and styling a space could be. In this instance, with an uplifting and rejuvenating spring/summer vibe. This is something that anyone can do with some time, creativity and a forgiving Visa.
Use trays to group and ground a selection of objects for a neater finish. Featuring Aqua Nova’s Enyo Mirror
CITRUS BRIGHTS: SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING
Neutrals are my bread and butter – my default. I also have a penchant for zesty citrus shades – variations on yellow, blue and green. This is your palette if you have a neutral bathroom but want to give it a refreshing, rejuvenating update.
The citrus brights will enliven even the most melancholic space and kick-start the slowest of mornings. Choose a combination of lemon, lime, citronella, chartreuse and olive, offsetting with some playful turquoise accents for added ‘zing’.
‘Citrus Brights’ mood-board for Kohler collaboration – I wanted to inject vibrant hues and fun prints
I devised this mood-board above in advance of styling the shoot. I would always recommend creating a mood-board when designing an interior scheme as it is an invaluable visual reference. In a glance, it encapsulates the key elements of the design. Showcasing how they will work together, it highlights the delicate balance of colour, texture and pattern.
For successful summer bathroom styling, contemporary shapes (that imfamous zig-zagging Missoni motif) and quirky lemon prints work harmoniously given their unified palette. I enjoy playful pattern and mixing prints as the weather heats up – this leads to a fun, more eclectic aesthetic.
ZESTY & REFRESHING: SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING
The zesty brights, grounded in monochrome, work beautifully with Kohler’s Veil lighted suite. Stool – Serax Swamp Pot – Large
When it comes to success in interior design, regardless of season, engaging all the senses is key;
- Consider the smell within a space. Fresh scents with notes of citrus can be easily introduced via scented candles, room sprays and gorgeous beauty products. Note the hand-wash and hand cream you’re using too. Regularly applied, they will have an impact on the overarching fragrance in the room.
Details: Vessel basin is Veil. The tap is the Composed monobloc with side handle – all Kohler
2. Blast out the happy, summer tunes. Use a bathroom radio or wireless speaker and connect to your feel-good playlist. Turn up those classic summer anthems and embark in a shameless shower sing-along. It’s good for the soul!
Kohler’s Moxie wireless speaker in chartreuse works beautifully within this scheme and allows you to incorporate all the tunes into your bathroom
3. Change up your skincare routine for the summer months. Invest in new products, champion an SPF and, with more skin on show, moisturise relentlessly. And then some more. Feeling good is what it’s all about. I like to explore different make-up for a ‘naturally’ sun-kissed glow. Use a zingy make-up pouch to keep your favourite products to hand for a quick refresh. I’m enjoying the arrange of fruit-printed pieces on offer, especially when they feel somewhat vintage.
I love to switch my beauty products and update my make-up bag for spring/summer. Opt for lighter, dewier products and store in this stylish vintage-print Elizabeth Scarlett Lemon Travel Pouch
4. Towels are a bathroom essential but they also offer significant styling potential. Use a statement towel to introduce colour into an otherwise understated space – opt for geometric or bold prints in punchy hues for the spring/summer season. This is a relatively inexpensive way to make a bold statement and update your look. Bathrooms can feel fairly stark with the expanse of hard surfaces, so towels also offer some welcomed texture.
Choose a bold, printed towel to form the basis of your summer bathroom styling colour palette. Missoni Home – Warner Towel
BOHEMIAN SUMMER: SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING
Styling can transform a space – elevating it from somewhat mediocre to ‘wow’. It can also transport us – through colour, pattern, texture and accessories – and alter our mindset. Such is the power of great design.
It’s all in the edit. Styled on Bloomingville’s Terrain Bamboo Stool in Natural and Bloomingville’s Stoneware Tray in Natural. Musgo Real orange amber soap-on-a-rope by Claus Porto and black leather slides – Ancient Greek Sandals Desmos Cutout Leather Slides. Raja Bath Mat – Anthropologie
The second mood board (below) instantly highlights the power of both the mix and the edit. For this look, I wanted to create a calm, Ibiza-inspired space. The use of materials, colour, print selection and the layering are central to this chilled, high-summer vibe.
My Bohemian Summer mood-board feels laid-back and eclectic. Perfect for Ibiza-inspired summer bathroom styling
- Introduce texture and mix materials (more on this here). Use stools, baskets, mats and accessories to create eclecticism and diversity within the space. Casual, cool ikat prints combine beautifully with batik and embroidered finishes, whilst natural weaves and animal prints introduce additional layers. Add some edge with heavily typographic pieces via soaps and candles. Throw in some monochrome for added-cool!
Working with a dark grey-gloss unit, white sanitary-ware and matte-black hardware, this look is both transformative and easy to achieve
2. Keep your cool with a calming, earthy palette – warm shades of amber, saffron, mustard and orange beautifully offset stark monochrome. This bathroom should feel natural but not devoid of colour. You could even consider introducing brighter pinks or yellows for a more contemporary take on this look.
Sun Goes Down: The ambers, ochres and oranges bring considerable warmth to a cooler or monochromatic bathroom. Styled with Wouf’s Leopard Cosmetic Bag, Compagnie de Provence’s Karite hand cream and scented candle by Plum & Ashby
3. Play with pattern! Summer celebrates the power of the mix. Less stuffy than winter, everything feels more casual and relaxed – more thrown-together – at this time of year. Whilst you should avoid disregarding the overarching palette entirely, experiment with layering pattern and print. Pair it back with some plain or colour-blocked elements which will ensure a level of harmony and balance.
Keep the palette in mind but experiment with mixing pattern and print
4. Add some greenery. Plants bring the outside in, connecting us with nature and calming our minds. A gorgeous succulent also adds textural interest and colour to a scheme so it’s a total winner. And, if you can’t go real, go faux!
A succulent loves the bathroom environment and works hard for your scheme
5. Music. For this scheme, a casually undone soundtrack through your bluetooth speaker will channel those chilled Ibizan nights. A little Sade or a smooth beach-lounge mix is perfect for those balmy, summer evenings. All that’s really missing is a hazy sunset and a cocktail in hand.
SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING: THE TIME IS NOW
Kohler’s Abrazo vessel basin shown although ‘Kankara‘ is their new UK launch
I hope this post has offered some insight and inspiration into updating your bathroom for spring/summer. Through some choice accessories, updated towels and a fresh scent you can make a huge difference and bring the sunshine!
Do you style your home differently depending on the time of year? Are you more in tune with a zingy, zesty look or a chilled bohemian space? I would love to hear your feedback and ideas in the comments section below!
Girl signing off,
*Please note that this post has been sponsored by Kohler. Thanks to The Kohler Experience Centre at West One Bathrooms for use of the showroom. Amara kindly loaned pieces for the shoot (details and affiliate links have been shared within). I feel it important to reiterate that I only promote brands which I truly believe in and support. As always, my content is entirely original and all views expressed are my own.*
** If you’re looking for more inspiration in luxury design and styling, the following posts may be helpful: CHILDREN’S BEDROOM DESIGN: 9 STEPS TO SUCCESS | 5 WAYS TO ACHIEVE A LUXURY BOUTIQUE HOTEL-STYLE BEDROOM | INTERIOR STYLE: PALM COURT, THE LANGHAM, LONDON | 5 INTERIOR DESIGN SECRETS TO ENHANCE YOUR SPACE | SOFAS & HANDBAGS – THE ULTIMATE INVESTMENT |
8 thoughts on “SUMMER BATHROOM STYLING: IBIZA VIBES TO ZING & ZEST”
Your bathroom looks very inviting and relaxing. I like the idea of a spa bathroom, I may take some of these tips. For me it’s my favourite way to relax a nice hot bath, so making the room into a spa will just add to that experience.
Sarah you are so good at styling! You’ve done a great job of styling each area so tastefully and with a lot of sophistication. Love the use of colour and the subtle colour palettes. Amazing!
oh my goodness what a fantastic styling ! and a true bathroom goals right here – i loved and want so many items you have here
I love the bright citrus colours that you’ve chosen to work with. So many beautiful products to keep your bathroom looking lovely
This post has gotten me into the summer mood! Also the photography is gorgeous! I love the bright colours and the citrus icons / colours so much, I can almost taste them!
Your photohraphs are out of this world Sarah! I need to take tips from you, such beautiful styling too. Your bathroom is amazing!!
Beautiful styling and photography Sarah! Definitely, has me wishing for sunnier days.
Love the idea of a spa bathroom, now i imght just copy the idea for my new home and create a fun summer vibe with cute patterns and colours.
Thank you fr sharing thiis awesome information, it just enhanced my home. 🙂